Start date: Saturday, June 9, 2001.
Completion date: Shut up, okay?
The pattern I designed is 12 x 12 squares of a basic granny square motif - concentric squares in rows, like this. The rows average 1/2 inch, the sqares average 8 1/2 inches across, and each seam adds approx 1/4 inch. Considering all that and the outer row, the size when finished should be approximately 9'x9' [(8.5*12) + (.5*11) +1 = 108.5; 108.5/12 = 9.041667]. We'll see for sure when it's done... :)
I used hook size F, and rotated four colors, with grey for the border color. I drew the pattern out in Paint (yes, bitmaps are obnoxiously huge, but the gridlines make it perfect for blocking out patterns - if you have plenty of time and patience!).
Just for fun, I tried to figure out the stitch count. I am pretty sure I have this right, so I thought I'd show my work.
For each square:
Row 1 - 20 chain stitches, 11 double crochet stitches, 2 slip stitches = 33 total
Rows 2 through 8:
- 3 (first "dc") + 3 (corner stitches) * 4 (corners) + spaces between dc clusters [4 (sides of square) * (row number -1)] = chain stitches
- [3 (stitches in each dc cluster) * 4 (sides of square) * row number] - 1 (first stitch of row is not a dc, but 3 chain stitches) = double crochet stitches
- 1 slip stitch (to close)
So, the total per square is 825 stitches. 144 squares* 825 is 118800 - that's the milestone I reached yesterday (woo-hoo!).
As for the last row, the outer border, I think that will have 1759 stitches - I'm not as sure about this because I'm having a little trouble visualizing it - but if I'm wrong, it's by less than five.
I freely admit that I am a dilettante when it comes to crafts - still, ridiculously late though it is, it's no less a labor of love, and while I'm not going to announce my guess at when it will be finished (for fear of missing yet another deadline), I can actually see the end of it ahead of me. I don't know what will happen to me when I am done. I think my heart might explode.